To contact the IRS, call:

  • Customer service — 800-829-1040.

  • Lost IRS check — 800-829-1954.

  • Refund status — 800-829-4477.

  • Forms and publications — 800-829-3676.

  • Questions about refunds and offsets to IRS liabilities — 800-829-1954.

  • Taxpayer advocate service — 877-777-4778.

  • Missing child tax credit payments    800-908-4184

  • Stimulus check wrong amount or never received   800-919-9835

  • Self-employed taxpayers with account or tax law questions  800-829-4933

  • Identity and refund theft victims; get a new IP PIN   800-908-4490

  • Disaster victims    866-562-5227

  • Overseas taxpayers  267-941-1000

  • Balance due questions    800-829-0922; 800-829-7650; 800-829-3903

  • Estate and gift tax questions  866-699-4083

  • Excise tax questions  866-699-4096

  • Report phishing and other scams; see if an IRS agent's name and badge number are legit  800-366-4484

  • Check status of a tax refund  800-829-1954

  • Check status of a tax refund being held   866-897-3315

  • Check status of an amended tax return   866-464-2050

  • Order a tax transcript    800-908-9946

  • Make a payment using Electronic Federal Tax Payment System

  • English: 800-555-4477

  • Spanish: 800-244-4829  

  • Report incorrect income on a substitute return  866-681-4271 

  • Verify, payoff or resolve a tax lien    800-913-6050

  • See if bankruptcy changed your tax debt   800-973-0424

  • Innocent spouse relief    866-681-4271

  • See which debts will offset your tax refund  800-304-3107 (866-297-0517 TTY/TDD)

  • Lost ITIN documents  800-908-9982

  • Status of application for Adoption Taxpayer Identification Number   737-800-5511

  • Taxpayer Advocate Service   877-777-4778

  • International Taxpayer Advocate      English: 787-522-8601  Spanish: 787-522-8600

  • Tax assistance for the hard of hearing (TTY/TDD)    800-829-4059

  • Schedule an appointment with a local IRS office    844-545-5640

  • Whistleblower hotline   800-829-0433

  • Ask IRS to mail you paper tax forms   800-829-3676

  • Find a free tax clinic near you    800-906-9887; 888-227-7669

Watch out for IRS phone scams

You can call every IRS phone number you want, but the IRS will rarely call you. It initiates most contacts, including demands for payment, through regular mail from the U.S. Postal Service. In special circumstances, the agency will call or come to a home or business when:

  • A taxpayer has an overdue tax bill.

  • To secure a delinquent tax return.

  • To secure a delinquent employment tax payment.

  • To tour a business as part of an audit or during criminal investigations.

Avoid tax scams (here's how to spot them). The IRS does not:

  • Call you to demand payment.

  • Initiate contact with you via email, text or social media.

  • Ask you to pay your tax bill with prepaid cards, gift cards or wire transfers.

  • Threaten to call the police, immigration officers or other people to arrest you.

  • Revoke your driver’s license, business license or immigration status.

Visit your local IRS office

The IRS operates local Taxpayer Assistance Center offices, or TACs, in every state. To see their local addresses and phone numbers, click on your state on the list of Taxpayer Assistance locations. Generally, you can’t just show up at a local IRS office any time. You have to make an appointment. That IRS number is 844-545-5640.